Guys, it’s time to ditch the canned stuff and start making homemade refried beans…for so many reasons!
First off, most canned refried beans are made with pork lard, which is (a) not going to work if you are cooking for vegetarians or vegans and (b) totally unnecessary flavor-wise, if you ask me. Canned refried beans are also often made with extra sugars and preservatives, which I also try to avoid when possible. But most of all, I’ve always thought that the canned stuff never tastes very flavorful or fresh!
Enter this super-simple homemade refried beans recipe.
I love it because it’s easy to whip up in just 20 minutes or so. It’s also made with an easy ingredient list that I feel great about, that also happens to be naturally vegetarian, vegan (if you’d like) and gluten-free. It’s a recipe that’s easy to customize and make however citrusy, spicy and smoky or cheesy you might prefer. I love this recipe because it’s downright delicious, but best of all.
I’ve been making homemade refried beans ever since I met my vegetarian husband years ago and realized that the canned stuff was no longer an option. And over the years, we have loved adding these to our favorite tacos, tostadas, enchiladas, quesadillas and burritos seven layer dip, taquitos, taco pizzas and more. Of course, these refried beans also make for a fantastic easy side dish. And if you’ve got a case of the munchies, hey, just grab some tortilla chips and they also double as a delicious bean dip! Perfect for Cinco de Mayo this weekend or anytime you’re cooking up a delicious Mexican dinner at home.
Let’s make some refried beans!
Homemade Refried Beans Ingredients:To make this easy refried bean recipe, you will need:
How To Make Refried Beans:To make this refried bean recipe, simply:
- Saut the onion and garlic. Saut in butter (or oil) in a large saucepan until softened.
- Add the next round of ingredients. Stir in the beans, veggie stock, and spices. Then cook until the mixture reaches a simmer.
- Mash the beans. Remove the pan from the mash and heat the beans to your desired consistency. If you want them to be super-smooth, you can transfer them to a food processor and puree until smooth.)
- Add in the remaining ingredients, (Or. Stir in the cold butter until combined. Taste the beans, and season with as much lime juice, salt and pepper as needed. (Don’t be afraid to be generous with the s&p! )
- Serve warm. If desired, Then serve warm, garnished with cilantro and/or cheese.
Possible Variations:This refried beans recipe is meant to be a base recipe that you can customize! So free free to tinker around with the ingredients and find what works best for you. For example, feel free to…
Easy Breakfast Tacos recipe coming soon! !